Saturday, January 25, 2014

Fear and Desire (1953)

The first Stanley Kubrick movie I watched was The Clockwork Orange. That movie surprised me with its vulgarity and sinister plot. Stanley Kubrick is a legendary movie maker, I knew from then onwards. But the movie that really impressed me was 2001. It had everything, plot, acting, amazing fx and my god the music. Like every track is still being overused in everything. Then I StumbleUpon this. A Kubrickan movie that I never knew that I had.

The dialog is a bit contrived, but that is expected of a 1950ies movie. Bit the acting does stand out. Even the assaults on unsuspecting victims are played out in a manner which seems Kubrickian and makes you queezy.

It seems really ordinary at first . But the characteristics of what makes a Stanley Kubrick movie stand out slowly emerges. With the narration turning in to monologues of self reflection and similies, and sudden murders and queezy shots, be assured that this is far from being ordinary. You are gonna get the Kubrick treatment from this too. Of course you'll know that there will be something special if you've seen the poster, and also the RT scores.

But that's only what it drills down to. Just a bunch of soldiers pondering about life and everything. There isn't a very convincing plot. Still if one is interested in philosophical thoughts about Destiny and the purpose of everything, and doing things that matter,  there will be something to take from the words spoken. To be honest, I wasn't interested that much and I just let it flow and watched the plot unravel.

Kubrick is to find the true greatness in the future movies to come. But not in this one.

"Seems like when people get in a hole, they begin to get jealous of dogs."

No comments:

Post a Comment